Liebieg Palace (The Villa of Johann Liebieg, Jr)

The Liebieg Palace is to be designed as a place for people to get together regardless of age and social status. It will offer visitors a wide range of leisure, educational, environmental, cultural and social services.

Events (48)

expand listing
Address:U Tiskárny 81/1Liberec, 460 01GPS:50°46'1.4''N; 15°03'41.1''E[Map]

A family mansion inside chateau grounds

This luxurious family mansion is the result of the reconstruction of the Classicist house owned by Ferdinand Römheld between 1871-1872; it was probably designed and built by Gustav Sachers from Liberec. The mansion used to belong to Johann Liebieg Jr., one of Liberec's most influential industrial tycoons, and the location of their residence within the chateau grounds reflects this family's importance. After the death of Johann Liebieg Jr. in 1917, the palace was inherited by his children, who did not live there, but merely rented it out. After the Second World War, the palace was confiscated and from 1953 to 2014 housed the Regional Gallery, which can now be found in the former city spa.

A palace with the charm of the northern Italian Renaissance

This mansion with its garden and outbuildings - the carriage house, gatehouse, staircase ramp with the pergola and fountain, the garden gazebo, greenhouse and cold store was clearly inspired by the northern Italian Renaissance. It is one of the grandest and stylishly pure Historicist buildings in the city. Its dimensions, architectural design, decoration and floor plan rightly earned it the name Liebieg Palace.

Conversion of a palace to a community centre

The extensive reconstruction works retained the building’s original historical appearance inside and out. The most challenging part of the project was the renovation of the roofed conservatory and opening up the walled-up windows, restoring the stained-glass windows to the room and turning the previously inaccessible orangery into a future café. Various community associations and organisations that work with young people, the elderly, the disabled, etc. have since moved into the palace. There are now two exercise rooms, a hall to seat up to 60 people, an art studio, a ceramics workshop, the Johann Gallery, and much more. The site was opened up to the public on 3 June 2023.


  • The reconstruction of the Liebieg Palace won the main Karel Hubáček Award in 2023. 
  • The Liebieg Palace was declared "Building of the Year in Liberec Region".