Ještěd - TV transmitter← Back to listing
- 4. 10.(11:30)MČR výjezd na Ještěd na kolečkových lyžích Skiroll…(Competition, tournament )
The very first, five-metre-high wooden lookout tower was erected on the top of Mount Ještěd in 1876. It was replaced by another wooden structure in 1889 that was pulled down in 1902 due to the bad technical condition. Five years later, a mountain hotel was built on the top of Ještěd by the architect Ernst Schäfer. However, in 1963 the hotel was burnt out.
The present TV transmitter was built during the 1966 - 73 period according to a project designed by arch. Karel Hubáček. The structure was later awarded the prestigious Perret Prize of the International Union of Architects (UIA) - The Ještěd won the "Building of the 20th century" title.
The height of the transmitter equals 94 m.
There is a funicular to the top of Mount Ještěd.
The covered gallery on the ground floor is open to the public. Other spectacular views of the area are offered from the restaurant or the café on the first floor. The higher floors are used by the hotel.
Attention: From 20 July 2020 the road from Horní Hanychov to Výpřež is closed due to reconstruction. It is not possible to go by car to the top of Ještěd mountain.
Access from the city: tram No.3, directed to Horní Hanychov; from there, by the funicular to the TV transmitter
|Month from / to||Day in the week from / to||Hours from / to||Symptom|
|January - December||-||-||open|