Movie locations

Liebieg Town (Liebiegovo městečko)

The Liebieg Town is the most distinctive example of Art Nouveau apartment buildings in Liberec. An employee housing estate built in the immediate vicinity of the factory was under construction from the mid-19th century to the 1920s.
Address:– not available –
– not available –

Liebieg Town

Being textile magnates, the Liebiegs needed a lot of labourers for their empire back then. And they looked after them well, too. Between the mid-19th century and the 1920s of the 20th century, they built an employee housing estate near their factory, poetically dubbed the Liebieg Town. The colony is bordered by Perštýn hill and Svatoplukova ulice, where the oldest part is, as well as the streets Andělčina, Klicperova, Gollova, Mikulášská, Plátenická, Na Zátočí, and the squares Příbramské náměstí and Pod Branou.

Town in the city

The colony was a kind of “town in the city” and was self-sufficient to a certain extent. The little town included a school, a kindergarten, a creche, a church and a fire station, as well as laundries and an inn; shops occupied the ground floor of houses that had porches back then (they are not there anymore). Not only did this make life easier for the inhabitants, it was also a very profitable step by Theodor Liebieg. In building the housing, he ensured that his employees not only earned a living with him, but then also spent their earnings in his shops. The estate gradually expanded until 1929. It is worth noting the doors of the individual buildings, which feature some highly detailed carvings. The historical charm of the houses set into the hillside attracts locals, tourists and filmmakers to this day - take a walk through the little town and you're sure to see why.

Dům Pod Branou (House under the Gate)

The dominant landmark of this whole district was Theodorovo náměstí – now náměstí Pod Branou (Square under the Gate), symbolised by the house of the same name. 


The building was constructed as a smaller estate on the other side of Perštýn hill from 1916 to 1921. It was primarily intended for World Ware One veterans from the Liebieg factory. 


The building was originally used as a shelter for poor and school-age children, who were looked after by nuns. The building is in the neo-Romanesque style. It now houses a special school.