Biking


To the Top of Mt. Ještěd

← Back to listing
Created:18.5.2014 | Modified:18.5.2014

Address:– not available –
Head over the Ještěd Ridge and overcome yourself.

Length in kilometres: 22.3 km 

Horní Hanychov – Výpřež – Ještědka – Ještěd – Pláně pod Ještědem – U Šámalů – Rašovka – Pilínkov – Horní Hanychov

Výpřež

Výpřež (or Tetřeví saddle) is a mountain saddle at an elevation of 769m above sea level situated approximately 1.5 km away from the top of Mt. Ještěd. A road was built between 1863 and 1867 when it replaced the old trade route which used to run here. In the past, when merchants' carriages were hauled by horses, the unharnessing of extra teams of horses that were rented by coachmen at the beginning of an ascent so it would be actually possible to get the carriage up here, took place here. An old granite obelisk stands here (as a guidepost at tourist Ridge Way built at the beginning of the 20th century).

Mt. Ještěd

The highest peak of the Ještědský Ridge (1012 m above sea level). The borders of the Český Dub and Liberec manors ran across the mountain top for centuries. A sight impossible to overlook is the Rohanský pamětní kámen memorial shaped like an obelisk on the top of the mountain, erected in honour of the Duke of Rohan in 1828. At the end of the 19th century, Florian Hasler and his wife Barbara, who managed to build the first partially stone chalet named after the Duke of Rohan in 1868, started to provide citizens with services. Due to the great interest of visitors, a veranda was added and later also the first lookout tower. It had to be demolished in 1889 and in its place a new lookout tower with a new hotel, which burned down in 1963, was built. The TV transmitter and the hotel as we know it now was inaugurated in 1973 and is the work of the architect Karel Hubáček, who won the prestigious Perret Prize of the International Union of Architects for it. The top of Mt. Ještěd offers unlimited panoramic views of the Jizera, Krkonoše and Lusatian Mountains, the Bohemian Paradise and Central Bohemian Uplands. On the observatory terrace you can see the Little Martian Statue by Jaroslav Róna. Right below the peak there is the upper station of the cabin cableway from Horní Hanychov. The cableway of the shuttle system was originally built in 1932-33. In the first half of the 1970s the cableway was modernized. Mt. Ještěd is a significant centre for downhill as well as cross-country skiing.

Pláně pod Ještědem

Originally a mountain settlement, it gradually became a significant centre for hiking and skiing. Pláně was, unlike Ještěd, a Czech centre. The first house was built here in 1805, and an inn was built in 1863, which burned down several times. In 1909, the Prague Winter Sports Club built the so-called Šimánek’s Chalet. The tourist chalet of the Czech Tourist Club – Pláně, was built in 1926 and the club still owns it.

U Šámalů

This typical mountain inn was built by Antonín Šámal in 1864. The current owner, a local and mountaineer Svatopluk Koudela, reconstructed it by himself to its former appearance and now he runs it as a family pub in a cosy style.

Rašovka Lookout Tower

This 19.5-metre high lookout tower is part of the “V Trnčí” restaurant. A businessman from Liberec, Josef Lank, built it in place of a former restaurant with the same name that dated back to 1898 and it has belonged to his family since the beginning. You can see the Jizera Mountains, the Krkonoše Mountains, the Bohemian Paradise and even the Mácha district from the lookout tower.

 

 

 


Attachments