In the Footsteps of the Liebieg Family


The story of the Liebig family perfectly exemplifies the industrial boom and its effects on the development of the city, its new lifestyle and culture. The Liebiegs left an indelible mark on the Liberec architecture due to the fact that they were not only skilled entrepreneurs, but also enlightened engineers and generous patrons.INCITY App.

The founder of the dynasty of textile tycoons was Johann Liebieg Sr (1802-1870) who came from Broumov in Eastern Bohemia and settled in Liberec in 1818. His tenacity and hard work made it possible for him to evolve from a simple drapery worker to a small trader and eventually to one of the most successful industrialists in the monarchy. His business activities were not limited to textile production and Liberec. The Liberec factory Johann Liebieg & Co. was closely connected to the creation of settlements for employees known as Liebieg small town (Liebiegovo městečko, No. 13).  The following people were involved in its construction: the founder of the dynasty by managing the construction of the workers’ house, his descendants – daughter Marie Liebiegová (1835-1914), by initiating the construction of the social facilities for the female workers’ children and the church of St.Vincent de Paula, partly his son Johann Liebieg the younger (1836-1917) and especially his grandson Theodor Liebieg Jr (1872-1939).

For their own use, the family built three representative seats: The Villa of Johann Liebieg Jr (No. 4)., the Villa of Theodor Liebieg Jr (No. 11) and the Villa of the founder’s son Heinrich Liebieg  (1839-1904)  (No. 8) , who is known today primarily as an art collector and patron. He was also instrumental in the construction of a tourist restaurant with a lookout tower known as Liberecká výšina (No. 7). The founder’s brother Franz Liebieg (1799-1878) left the company in 1831 because of poor health. After his recovery he established his own company in Vesec. He is also connected with the construction of the tomb (No. 2) at the former civic cemetery. His descendants are known primarily as generous contributors in the construction of the new Liberec town hall (No. 1) in 1893.  In 1881 his son Ludwig Liebieg (1846–1909) bought the house No. 20/V in the present day street 8. března, which was built by the factory owner Adolf Schmidt based on the architectural design of Gustav Sachers on the site of the old post office.

The escutcheon displays the coat of arms of the family, which marked the Liebiegs’ newly acquired noble status. Johann Liebieg Sr. and Franz Liebieg Sr. were ennobled for their achievements in the industry; the first was awarded the hereditary title of Baron and the latter was knighted. The Liebiegs cooperated with a number of architects and engineers from Liberec and abroad. Nevertheless, the most fruitful cooperation the Liebiegs established was with a Nuremberg architect, Jakob Schmeissner, who deserves to be called their chief architect.

 

 

City Hall, Liberec

← Back to listing
Created:10.2.2008 | Modified:20.3.2020

Address:Nám. Dr. E. Beneše 1Liberec, 460 59GPS:50°46'11.5''N; 15°03'29.9''E[Map]
The Neo-Renaissance-style building of Liberec Town Hall was built in 1893 according to a design by F. Neumann, a Viennese architect. It is well-known for its similarity to Vienna Town Hall.

Events

In the second half of the 19th century the old Renaissance town hall could no longer satisfy the needs of the dynamically developing city. The city officials therefore decided to build a new town hall which would represent the wealth and power of Liberec more adequately. The project of Viennese architect Franz von Neumann won the competition and the construction was carried out by the Sachers & Gärtner company from 1888–1893. The construction of the town hall in the trans-Alpine renaissance style was also made possible thanks to a generous contribution of Franz Liebieg Jr. who bequeathed in his testament 100,000 gold coins to the city. 

As a token of gratitude, the city erected the statues of its two patrons, Franz and Heinrich Liebieg, above the stairway, which were made by the sculptors Emanuel Gerhart and Gustav Hermann but unfortunately have not survived to today. The stained glass windows which were ordered by Franz's brother Ludwig Liebieg and his grandsons Ferdinand and Franz Liebieg the youngest are also worth admiring.

Tours are organised by Městské informační centrum Liberec (building Nový magistrat next to the city hall). 

TOURS AND PRICES see below.

In spring 2017 National Geographic presented a biographical series of Genius. This serial is inspired by life of Albert Einstein presented by Geoffrey Rush and directed by among others Ron Howard. Filming of the series took place also in Liberec! In the City Hall, on the square, in front of the museum and in other locations.

Opening hours






Month from / toDay in the week from / toHours from / toSymptom
June - September Mo - Fr 9:00 - 15:00 open
Sa 9:00 - 11:00 open
October - May Th 9:00 - 15:00 open

City hall tours start on the hour.
CIRCUIT I - ceremonial hall, corridors, tower
Full entrance fee:70,00 CZK
Children's tickets:35,00 CZK for children up to 15 years
Student admission:35,00 CZK
Senior admission:35,00 CZK for persons over 70 years
Foreign language commentary:100,00 CZK
Note:Ceremonial Hall is inaccessible during the event!
FREE OF CHARGE:
Primary, secondary and high school (during the school year with a teacher).
Disability Card holders year-round.
CIRCUIT II - ceremonial hall (only)
Full entrance fee:30,00 CZK
Foreign language commentary:50,00 CZK
Note:Ceremonial Hall is inaccessible during the event!
No discounts.
CIRCUIT III - tower/balcony (only)
Full entrance fee:30,00 CZK
Family entrance fee:60,00 CZKMax. 2 adults and 2 children
Foreign language commentary:30,00 CZK
Note:No discount.
The visit of the tower depends on the weather.
Attachments