F. X. Šalda Theatre, Liberec← Back to listing
In September of 1881 the foundations were laid for a new theatre and the City Theatre was ceremonially opened in September 1883. The building was constructed in Neo-Reneissance style. It has an advantageous position in the city centre, fitting well among the surrounding constructions thanks to its proportions.
The front wall is emphasized with a rich stucco decoration, trimmed with a row of sculptures of allegoric meaning. All these sandstone sculptures were carved out by Reinhold Völke, a stonecutter from Vienna, according to the design provided by Bendel, a sculptor also from Vienna.
There are currently three theatre companies performing in the theatre - opera, ballet and dramatic companies.